Sage, Sausage, Kale And Butternut Squash Soup
I’m not the type of cook that measures much.
I usually eyeball ingredients and toss them together and this recipe is no different.
If you are a strict measurer, don’t let that scare you!
All amounts are approximate, but you absolutely cannot mess this up if you have a little more or less of anything. Pinky swear!
- One large or two small Butternut Squash (squashes, squish?) peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes.
Don’t know how to peel and chop a Butternut Squash? Scroll down for a “how to” video!
- 1 lb of your favorite bulk sausage
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped Onion (use more if you love onions)
- a clove or two of Garlic
- about 7-8 cups chicken broth (more does not hurt a thing!)
- big handful of Kale -washed with center ribs removed from leaves. Tear or chop into bite sized pieces
- a teaspoon dried sage OR thyme – (or both) and add more if you like
- salt and pepper to season
- Optional– very generous handful of rice, barley or quinoa or leftovers of any of these (I like brown rice)
Cook your sausage until brown and crumbly, then toss in the chopped onion. Cook and stir for two or three minutes, add the chopped garlic clove(s) and cook for another minute or two.
Now add your broth and the peeled cubed squash.
Do you want to add rice or barley? Do it now.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes-or until your squash is soft.
Now you can add the kale along with the sage or thyme and let it simmer gently for another 15 minutes- until your rice or barley is tender.
You didn’t add any rice or barley? Then your soup is nearly done!
To make the soup creamier you can mash the squash using a potato masher or a stick blender.
You can also blend several cups of soup in a blender then add it back into the pot and stir it all together.
Finally, season with salt and pepper, taste and enjoy!
This is great served with garlic or cheese bread on the side.